WHEN the Tasmanian-born pastoralist H.A. Lindsay-Field moved from his then base at Hamilton, Victoria, in 1918 to buy Warbreccan Station at Deniliquin, his first priority was to build a home.
The original homestead had been destroyed by fire in 1898, and Lindsay-Field commissioned the building of a grand new homestead, reflecting the buoyant mood of that early post-war era.
A reporter for the Melbourne-based Australasian newspaper, visiting the property in 1923, waxed lyrical about the new residence, describing it as “quite one of the best homes in the Riverina”.
As such, it was a fitting seat for a pastoral empire that would encompass not just the 25,500 hectare “Warbreccan”, but as time went on “Calimo” and “Caroonboon” in the Riverina, and “Bullagreen” at Armatree.
And although the original station has long since been broken up for closer settlement, the homestead and surrounding land fronting the Edward River have remained in Lindsay-Field hands.
But not for much longer: the present owners, twin brothers Robert and Fionn Lindsay-Field (grandsons of HA), have decided it’s time to move on, and the historic property will go under the hammer on April 26.
James Sides and Lester Wheatley of Landmark and Elders Deniliquin respectively will jointly offer “War-
breccan” in three portions: Lot 1, “The Homestead” on 40ha; Lot 2, “The River Block” of 73ha, and Lot 3, “The Out Paddock” of 40ha – a total area of 153ha (378ac), all within just five kilometres of central Deniliquin.
Comprising 27 rooms including eight bedrooms, the gracious brick homestead is rich with period features including timber panelling, leadlight windows, ornate fireplaces and French doors.
Straddling the homestead block and also fronting the river, Lot 2 incorporates a private beach, various outbuildings, a fisherman’s cottage and a dwelling entitlement.
Joining the homestead block on the southern side, Lot 3 is an agricultural block of lasered country – an ideal “add-on” to the homestead – which also carries a dwelling entitlement.
The following week, on May 1, an adjoining portion of intensive farmland will be offered by Landmark at mortgagee auction, taking the combined area potentially available to 1252ha.
Listed for sale as “Warbreccan Farm”, the 1099ha (2717ac) property was previously sold in 2008 as “Warbreccan South”, to wind up a partnership between the Lindsay-Field family and New Zealand dairy interests.
Trading as Riverina Lamb, the partners had converted the farm over four years from ricegrowing to irrigated pasture production, fattening up to 39,000 lambs a year at growth rates of up to 300 grams a day.
Under its more recent ownership the property has been used for corn production in conjunction with grazing, and the farm income is augmented by earnings from a sand quarry.
Of the total area, about 630ha is laid out to irrigation including 526ha under pivots, 104ha of which is lasered.
Water is sourced from the Murray River system and licensed bore, with recycling to a 200 megalitre storage dam.
Interest in the two (quite separate) properties has been keen, and “Warbreccan” (in total) and “Warbreccan Farm” are both expected to realise upwards of $2 million at their respective auctions.
Contact James Sides, 0427 236 791 (Landmark); Lester Wheatley, 0419 629 200 (Elders).
Click here to see this property listing online.