Tips for looking after yourself
- Develop a support network of friends, family and/or health professionals and plan for extra help in the first few weeks after the birth.
- Involve your partner and family in day-to-day care of your baby and household chores from the beginning.
- Organise your routine so you get some time for yourself - use the time to relax or do something you enjoy.
- Talk to somebody you trust about your feelings.
Tips for partners
- Become involved in day-to-day tasks related to caring for the new baby and the household.
- Accept offers of help from friends or family members or organise for somebody to help with meals, housework and the children.
- Plan some time as a couple and try to do something you both enjoy.
- Be aware of your own health and wellbeing. Make sure you exercise, relax and set aside some time for yourself.
For more tips from beyondblue click here.
This article was first published in The Land's 2013 Glove Box Guide to Mental Health. To read more from the guide, click here.