FUTURE hoof and hook champions went under the hammer at today’s eight annual Potential Show Steer Sale hosted by Colin Say and Co at the Glen Innes sale yards.
Thirty of the 31 lots offered sold to a top of $11/kg and averaged $6.78/kg.
Wallabadah beef producer, Col McGilchrist was awarded Grand Champion on the day and went on to top the sale with $11/kg record.
Weighing in at 335kg the Limousin cross steer returned $3685 from auction plus a $700 cheque from Ancare Product and Crowe Horwath for taking out the top honors.
Judged and purchased by Travis Luscombe, Luscombe Show Steers and Livestock, Toowoomba, the steer was also awarded People’s Choice.
“He has great eye appeal and is thick, deep and soft” commented Mr Luscombe who plans to enter him into local shows before showing him at either EKKA or Premier Beef Fest.
“He’s a ripper” added Mr Luscombe who also complimented the entire run of steers and heifers on their top quality and dubbed the sale a “must attend” event for serious show steer fitters.
Lot 9, winner of the Angus infused class sponsored by Dulverton Angus Stud, sold for $9.75/kg to Nigel and Casey Wieck, Select Fitting Services, Inverell.
Returning $3022.50 at auction for vendors Dougal McIndoe, Smithson Farm, Glen Innes, the 310kg Charolais cross steer was described as “well balanced, soft easy doing with enough muscle content to suit”.
Mrs Wieck admitted she has had Smithson cattle before and they “do really well”.
“They are good soft cattle that are easily fed” added Mrs Wieck who plans to exhibit the steer at EKKA in either the late mid or early heavy class depending on his finish.
Smithston Farms also donated the entire proceeds of one steer at the sale to the Sir Ivan Bushfire Appeal.
“I drove through the affected area, it was devastating, I had to help in someway” said Mr McIndoe.
The 260kg Angus cross charity steer sold for $12/kg to a syndicate of Colin Say and Co, Greg Chappel and Andrew Say.
Thirty-four registered bidders filled the stands with nine schools in attendance.
Volume buyer, McIntyre High School, Inverell received the half tonne of stockfeed donated by Riverina Australia after securing five steers including the Reserve Champion, a 195kg Limousin cross Angus/Simmental for $10/kg.
- Grand Champion – Lot 17 A/C Col McGilchrist, LIMOUSIN X 335kg sold for $11/kg
- Reserve Champion – Lot 20 A/C BP Grogan, LIMOUSIN x ANGUS/SIMMENTAL 195kg sold for $10/kg
- 3rd Prize – Lot 15 A/C Smithston Farms, CHAROLAIS X 300kg sold for $9.50/kg
- 4th Price – Lot 9 A/C Smithston Farms, CHAROLAIS X 310kg sold for $9.75/kg
- 5th Price – Lot 5 A/C DA Peters and Em O’Donnell, LIMOUSIN X LIMOUSIN 190kg sold for $8.25/kg
- Peoples Choice – Lot 17
- Best Exhibit Hereford Infused(Sponsored by Lotus Herefords) – Lot 15 A/C Smithston Farms
- Best Exhibit Angus Infused (Sponsored by Dulverton Angus) – Lot 9 A/C Smithston Farms
- Best Exhibit Speckle Park Infused(Sponsored by Waratah Speckle Park) – Lot 8 A/C J and B Winter
- Best Exhibit Charolais Infused(Sponsored by Palgrove Charolais) – Lot 14 A/C Smithston Farms