Newell Highway reopened following extensive investigations after horror crash

Newell Highway reopened following extensive investigations after horror crash


News
Aa

Authorities have described the multi-vehicle crash as "absolute carnage".

Aa

7.30am, January 17 UPDATE: The Newell Highway has reopened north of Dubbo following extensive police investigations at the scene of yesterday’s fatal crash.

About 12.30pm on Tuesday January 16, emergency services were called to the Newell Highway north of Dubbo and found a seven-vehicle crash which involved two trucks, four sedans and a utility.

It is believed a south-bound semi-trailer hit the other vehicles from behind while they were stopped at roadworks.

The driver, a 19-year-old woman, and a 19-year-old man in one car died at the scene.

An 18-year-old man in another car suffered burns and was taken to Concord Hospital for treatment.

In a third car were the driver, a 43-year-old woman who suffered a broken arm, and two passengers, a 52-year-old woman and 25-year-old man who suffered minor injuries. They were taken to Dubbo Base Hospital.

In a fourth car were the driver, a 26-year-old woman who suffered facial injuries and was taken to Dubbo Hospital, a 24-year-woman who was taken to Royal North Shore Hospital with a suspected spinal injury, a two-year-old girl and a 19-year-old who were taken to Dubbo Base Hospital with minor injuries.

The driver of a utility, a 39-year-old man, and the driver of a B-double, a 27-year-old man, suffered minor injuries and were taken to Dubbo Base Hospital.

The driver of the semi-trailer, a 50-year-old man, suffered leg fractures and suspected internal injuries and was taken to Westmead Hospital.

The Newell Highway remained closed to all traffic at the scene overnight while officers from the Crash Investigation Unit examined the scene.

While that work has now been completed, investigations are ongoing.

They are also continuing to appeal for assistance from any person with information about the crash who has not yet spoken to police.

3.30pm UPDATE: Orana superintendent Peter McKenna has held a press conference at the scene of the the accident on Tuesday afternoon. 

He confirmed that seven vehicles travelling southbound on the Newell Highway were involved in the crash at the sight of roadworks. Two of those vehicles were prime movers. 

Twelve people in total were in the seven vehicles, with two people deceased at the scene. Eight people have been taken by road ambulance to Dubbo base hospital while another two people remained trapped in the vehicles. 

NSW Fire and Rescue and Volunteer Rescue Association personnel are working to release the trapped people, with Ambulance helicopter waiting to transport them to Sydney hospitals. 

Supt McKenna said the road is likely to remain closed for several hours, including into the night, with Crash Investigation Units from Sydney and Bathurst travelling to the scene to assist detectives with the investgation. 

NSW Ambulance officer Chris Wilson said six ambulance crews and two helicopters attended the scene with several patients transported in a stable condition. 

He said they were “very fortunate considering the incident.” 

One of the three people trapped, an 18-year-old male, had already been released and taken to hospital. 

3pm UPDATE: Two people have died and three people are trapped after a multi-vehicle crash about 20 kilometres north of Dubbo.

Ten people are reported to be injured in the incident. 

Emergency services were called to the location about 12.30pm on Tuesday after reports of a collision involving two trucks and four cars.

Eight ambulance crews and three choppers are at the accident site on the Newell Highway.

"One car is believed to be completely crushed under a truck," said NSW Ambulance superintendent Kathy Golledge.

"We are treating multiple patients, some are still trapped by compression at this stage."

Authorities have described the scene as "absolute carnage". 

There are currently unconfirmed reports that at least one person trapped in one of the vehicles is talking with emergency crews. 

EARLIER: The Newell Highway is currently closed in both directions and motorists should avoid the area. For the latest traffic updates visit livetraffic.com

About 20 emergency service vehicles are on the scene, with crash investigators and SafeWork NSW officers en route.

Motorists are advised to avoid the area.

Motorists needing to travel between Gilgandra and Dubbo are advised to travel via Narromine along the Mitchell Highway and Eumungerie Road.

This diversion is suitable for all vehicles.

The highway is expected to remain closed for some time.

For the latest traffic information, visit www.livetraffic.com

The story Newell Highway reopened following extensive investigations after horror crash first appeared on Daily Liberal.

Aa

From the front page

Sponsored by