Solid support from southern tablelands restockers along with steady buying from commission agents underpinned the weaner sale at SELX Yass where 4,275 cattle were yarded.
Restockers are hoping the seasonal break is ‘just around the corner’, and making their purchasers now, believing the market will really ‘kick’ once it rains.
The offering, dominated by excellent lines of black cattle saw a top price of $1075 paid for 45 Angus steers, weighing 350kg and sold on account Bundarbo Pastoral Co, Jugiong.
They had previously received the SELX sash for Best Presented Pen of Steers.
Other excellent sales of steers included:
- 20 Angus, weighing 333kg sold account Brett Medway, Gunning for $990
- 20 Angus, weighing 304kg sold account Round Flat Partnership, Braidwood for $870
- 20 Angus, weighing 357kg sold account Burn and Daniel, Yass for $1050
- 20 Angus, weighing 333kg sold account DMR Mewton for $970
- 26 Angus, weighing 321kg sold account Simon Clowes for $965
The sash sponsored by SELX for the Best Presented Pen of Heifers was awarded to Roy and Wiley Reeves, Bia Grab Pastoral Co, Grabben Gullen.
Their pen of 39 Angus, Hansworth-blood and July.August 2017 drop weighing 264kg sold for $600
Other good sales of heifers included:
- 21 Angus, weighing 230kg sold account Brett Medway, Gunning for $575
-19 Angus, June 2017 drop, Bongongo-blood sold account Burn and Daniel, Yass for $700
- 50 Angus, weighing 247kg sold account Old Bolong Pastoral Co, Crookwell weighing 247kg for $660.
Besides strong local competition, cattle were also bought by interests from Young, and Hamilton, Wangaratta and Wodonga in Victoria.
All agents associated with SELX conducted the sale.
- Full report see The Land 19 April