A severe thunderstorm warning for large hail, heavy rain and damaging winds has been issued by the Bureau of Meteorology for this afternoon (Wednesday January 2, 2019).
Those in parts of Metropolitan, Illawarra, South Coast, Central Tablelands, Southern Tablelands and Snowy Mountains Forecast Districts are warned that the thunderstorms are likely to produce large hailstones, heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding and damaging winds in the warning area over the next several hours.
Locations which may be affected include Penrith, Bowral, Braidwood, Katoomba, Goulburn and Nimmitabel.
There is also a detailed severe thunderstorm warning out for the Blue Mountains/Hawkesbury, Sydney, Wollondilly/Wingecarribee areas.
These thunderstorms are moving towards the east to northeast.
They are forecast to affect Blackheath, Katoomba and Lake Burragorang by 3:05pm and the Mount Tomah Botanic Gardens, Hazelbrook and the Burragorang State Recreation Area by 3:35pm.
Large hailstones, heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding and damaging winds are likely.
The next detailed warning for those areas is due to be issued by 3:40pm and can be found here.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
- Move your car under cover or away from trees.
- Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
- Keep at least 8 metres away from fallen power lines or objects that may be energised, such as fences.
- Report fallen power lines to either Ausgrid on 131 388, or Endeavour Energy on 131 003 or Essential Energy on 132 080, as shown on your power bill.
- Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
- Don't walk, ride your bike or drive through flood water.
- If you are trapped by flash flooding, seek refuge in the highest available place and ring 000 if you need rescue.
- Unplug computers and appliances.
- Avoid using the phone during the storm.
- Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.
The next warning is due to be issued by 5:35 pm. Keep an eye on warnings here.