Activity across the fireground has increased due to strengthening winds forcing Rural Fire Service (RFS) crews to issue an emergency warning alert.
As the fire moves south towards Howell Road and to the east near Old Mill, residents are advised to seek shelter if a path is clear.
An evacuation centre has been established at the Bundarra School of Arts in Bowline Street, as Thunderbolts Way remains closed.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Overnight the fire has burnt further towards properties in Gilgai, Ponds Creek, Old Mill and Stannifer. Properties in this area may also come under ember attack
- Thunderbolts Way is closed between Bundarra and Inverell.
- Schools closed on Thursday include Gilgai Public School, Tingha Public School and Bundarra Central Public School.
- If your plan is to stay with your property, ensure you are well prepared and know what you will do if the fire reaches your location.
- The evacuation centre at Inverell High is NOT operating.