THE state's peak representative body of local councils is set for a new era after a country-based mayor was elected as its president.
Broken Hill City Council mayor Darriea Turley was elected as president of Local Government NSW (LGNSW) after members of the organisation voted by mail recently.
Cr Turley will be one of eight returning board members and replaces outgoing LGNSW president Linda Scott, City of Sydney.
"I'm looking forward to chairing a great board and working collaboratively with my fellow directors to achieve real and meaningful outcomes for NSW councils and the communities they serve," Cr Turley said.
"We have an excellent balance between solid experience and fresh insights, and I know each and every board director will be solidly focused on supporting councils right across the state."
The new president has served as mayor of Broken Hill City Council since 2016 and has been a councillor for more than 20 years.
- Boutique woollen mills thriving amid COVID yarn-buying boom
- Chickpea crops 'a matter of luck' during wet harvest
- Costa's expansion to create 1 billion tomatoes
Cr Turley, who contested the Barown seat on behalf of Country Labor at the 2019 state government election, said her key focuses for her new role included building a strong, transparent and accountable peak body for councils, working with the Australian Local Government Association to address the Financial Assistance Grants shortfall and the creation of an annual rural-regional summit focused on overcoming the unique challenges faced by rural and regional councils.
"Councils have been working hard to help drive a locally led recovery from the economic impacts of drought, bushfires, floods and the COVID-19 pandemic, and with the delayed local government elections now over, this work will again pick up its pace," Cr Turley said.
"It is one of my key priorities as LGNSW president, and I'll be working with partners including the Country Mayors Association of NSW, our Joint Organisation Chairs Forum, and the City Regional Organisation of Councils. "
The LGNSW board will met for the first time in early 2022.
LGNSW regional board directors:
- Cr Jamie Chaffey (Gunnedah Shire).
- Cr Romola Hollywood (Blue Mountains City).
- Cr Dominic King (Bellingen Shire).
- Cr Phyllis Miller (Forbes Shire).
- Cr Danielle Mulholland (Kyogle).
- Cr Nuatalie Nelmes (City of Newcastle).
- Cr Cameron Walters (Wollongong City).
LGNSW metropolitan board directors:
- Cr Michael Forshaw (Sutherland Shire).
- Cr George Greiss (City of Campbelltown).
- Cr Julie Griffith (City of Blacktown).
- Cr Nathan Hagarty (City of Liverpool).
- Cr Karen McKeown (City of Penrith).
- Cr Carmelo Pesce (Sutherland Shire).
- Cr Philipa Veitch (City of Randwick).
Love agricultural news? Sign up for The Land's free daily newsletter.