There was no repeat of the 2016-17 record harvest, but some areas got through the tough 2017-18 year better than others.
National Grains Industry Reporter
Gregor Heard is Fairfax Ag Media's national grains industry reporter, based in Horsham, Victoria. He has a wealth of knowledge surrounding the cropping sector through his ten years in the role. Prior to that he was with the Fairfax network as a reporter with Stock & Land. Some of the major issues he has reported on during his time with the company include the deregulation of the export wheat market, the introduction of genetically modified crops and the fight to protect growers better from grain trader insolvencies. Still involved with the family farm he is passionate about rural Australia and its people and hopes to use his role to act as an advocate for those involved in the grain sector. Away from work, he is a keen traveller, having spent his long service leave last year in Spain learning the language.
Scratching your head about wheat prospects this year? You're not alone. Crop analysts are also struggling to get a handle on matters.
Feel hot at present? It's always hot this time of year, but this time temperatures have soared way above average levels.
UPDATED: Farmers say they are wary of participating in surveys relating to stocks information due to concerns.
Farmers are now reluctant to drive their new diesel utes over stubble due to fires being started by filters that run extremely hot.
IT'S the luck of the draw for summer croppers this year. Patchy rain means struggling crops are side by side with those with good potential.
A shipment of a vast array of pasture and grain crop seeds stored in Australia are being sent to the so-called Doomsday Vault in Norway .
The arrest of SELX director Rohan Arnold in Serbia on drug charges has shocked his fellow board members.
Cotton values have hit a seven month high on the New York futures exchange, pleasing Aussie cotton growers.
- Day two of George and Fuhrmann’s annual three-day weaner sale at Casino delivered strong steer prices, topping above $1536 for weaner steers, 10 months, with large volume buyers slugging it out for top bid and later complaining about high price.
- Rural doctors want the DWS system to focus on skills, not plugging holes.
- Government push to make two regional centres mega-cities
- Aussie innovation aiming to quench world’s water thirst
- Sometime things change as much as they stay the same.
- Testing is showing that fat from Australian White sheep has a melting point similar to Wagyu meat, giving it big ticks in the eating quality and health worlds.
- Tom Stockwell's final NTCA president speech a ripper.
- We took a look inside at what the store has to offer.
- A SPOKESMAN for McGrathNicol has refused to confirm or deny details regarding a possible sale of Cubbie Station, published in The Australian Financial Review, are correct.
- Follow all the action from Sydney Olympic Park here as cattle and sheep Easter Show champions are announced.
Search over 20,000 rural real estate listings online including farms, rural property and acreage for sale.
Connecting Livestock Buyers & Sellers: Your one-stop shop for livestock news, reports and sale listings.