The 66th annual Hay Sheep Show held in the Norm Smith Pavilion at the Hay Showgrounds attracted many of the best stud and commercial Merino sheep in the south.
President of the Hay Sheep Show committee, Ian Lugsdin paid tribute to Merino breeders who continued to present their sheep for assessment by their peers and the general public.
“This is one of the best lineups of stud and flock Merino sheep in the state, and we are very proud of the interest shown by breeders,” he said.
Sheep from Victoria, SA, the Monaro, southwest slopes, southern tablelands, mid-west NSW, Warren and the Riverina making it one of leading exhibitions of Merino sheep in the country.
- Strong wool, March shorn – Jim Vandeluer, Rices Creek stud, Saddleworth, SA.
- Medium wool March shorn – Ian Michael, Nyowee stud, Balaklava, SA.
- Flock and unhoused – Sid Lawrie, “Collandra North”, Tumby Bay, SA
- Long wool – Steve Phillips, Yarrawonga stud, Harden
- Associate judge – Heather McDougall, “Mungadal”, Hay
- Associate judge – James Graham, “Boonongo”, Morundah.
- Associate judge – Tom Perkins, “Nelyambo”, Dirranbandi, Qld.
Show results in the housed stud section -
- The ‘Riverina Wool Australia’ Champion Hogget Merino ram – White River, Minnipa, SA
- The ‘Riverina Wool Australia’ Champion NSW Hogget Merino ram – Wanganella, Conargo
- The ‘Riverina Wool Australia’ Champion Victorian Hogget Merino ram – Terrick West, St Arnuad
- The ‘Tapper Agri Services/Landmark’ Champion Hogget Merino ewe – Terrick West, Victoria.
- Supreme Exhibit – ram shown by Oakbank, Victoria, awarded the Bill Lamb Perpetual Trophy
- Grand Champion ram – Oakbank, Victoria awarded Bob and Anne Rollinson Perpetual Trophy
- Grand Champion ewe – Orrie Cowie, SA, awarded The Family of Charles Mills Uardry Perpetual Trophy
- Group of five – Darriwell, Trundle awarded the Neilson Mills Memorial Trophy
- Pen of three rams – Darriwell, Trundle awarded Dick Circuitt Memorial Trophy
- Champion medium wool ewe – Orrie Cowie, SA, awarded Clipex Trophy
- Champion medium wool ram – Glendonald, Victoria, awarded Sheepo Shearing Trophy
- Champion strong wool ewe – Orrie Cowie, SA, awarded Shearwell Trophy
- Champion strong wool ram – Oak Bank, Vic, awarded Tom Davies Memorial Trophy
- Champion March shorn ewe – Mount Yulong, Vic
- Champion March shorn strong wool ewe – Willandra, Jerilderie
- Champion March shorn medium wool ewe – Mount Yulong
- Elders Champion March shorn ram – Collinsville, SA
- Champion March shorn strong wool ram – Collinsville, SA
- Champion March shorn medium wool ram – White River, SA
- Andrew Lockhart Memorial Trophy for most successful exhibitor in stud section – Orrie Cowie, SA
Show results in the unhoused stud section –
- Pen of five ewes – Woodpark Poll, Hay awarded the Poogonook Trophy
- Single unhoused ewe – Orrie Cowie, SA awarded the Willshire Association Trophy
- Single unhoused ewe – Woodpark Poll, Hay awarded Meggs Transport Trophy
- Champion unhoused ewe – Woodpark Poll, Hay, awarded Gavin Johnston Snr Memorial Trophy
- Single unhoused ram – Willandra, Jerilderie, awarded O’Briens Fertilizers Trophy
- Most successful exhibitor in unhoused – Woodpark Poll, Hay awarded Fox and Lillee Special prize
Show results in the flock section.
- Pen of five Merino ewe weaners – Formosa, Hay, awarded Pat Thomas Memorial Trophy and Ancare Prize
- Pen of five medium wool Merino ewes – Hollow Mount, Bigga, awarded Pooginook Trophy
- Pen of five strong wool Merino ewes – Yarto, Booligal, awarded Hay Merino Breeders Trophy and Bayer Prize
- Pen of five Merino ewes – Hollow Mount, Bigga, awarded the Basil Clapham Memorial Trophy
- Pen of five Merino ewes, north of the Lachlan River, Yarto, Booligal, awarded the Mick Huntly Memorial Trophy
- Best two ewes – Hollow Mount, Bigga, awarded Les Milliken Memorial Trophy
- Champion pen ewe hoggets, – Hollow Mount, Bigga, awarded the Mungadal Trophy
- Supreme champion pen flock ewes – Hollow Mount, Bigga
- Champion ewe hogget – Hollow Mount, awarded the Geoff Norman Memorial Trophy
- Champion flock ewe – Hollow Mount, Bigga, awarded the Sandy Circuitt and family Perpetual Trophy
- The Hay Merino Breeders Inc., pen of five Merino ewes – Yarto, Booligal, awarded the John Storey Perpetual Trophy
- Most successful exhibitor in the flock section – Hollow Mount, Bigga, awarded the Rodwells and Co Special Prize.
Results for associated events.
- Junior judging – 1st, Lachy Watkin, 2nd, Daren Edwards, 3rd, Angus Denholm. Winner awarded the Don McNeil Memorial Trophy.
- Under 15s junior judging – 1st, Olivia Huggins, 2nd, Daisy Blair, 3rd, Bill Walker
- Ian Munro Memorial Blade Shearing – 1st, Andy Maclean, Haddon Rig Merinos, Warren, 2nd, Daniel Rogers, Mount Yulong, Telangatuk East, Victoria and 3rd, Tim Dalla, Collinsville Merinos, Burra, SA., Encouragement award, Manning Doughty.