Australian sheep farmers are cashing in on historic meat and wool prices, as average farm income for the sector hits a 20-year high of $170,000 this financial year.
National Sheep & Wool Writer
Annabelle Cleeland is Fairfax Media’s national sheep and wool writer. Annabelle joined the Fairfax team in 2012 to nurture her love of Australian agriculture. She began as the Victorian western district reporter at Stock & Land before taking on a senior position as a journalist reporting on all industries statewide. Annabelle’s appetite to report on issues which affect the sheep and wool industry has seen her travel to many parts of Australia and abroad. She is excited to spin industry yarns during a period of substantial demand for the sheepmeat and wool industries. Annabelle enjoys horse riding and climbing mountains, and is a lazy supporter of the Geelong Football Club.
Woolgrowers and taxpayers financed nearly $75,000 for a six-week study trip for Australian Wool Innovation (AWI) chief executive Stuart McCullough in the United States, it has been revealed.
There are still no answers as to how to rebuild trust in Australian Wool Innovation's board election process.
It is said that if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys, but how many peanuts are levy and tax payers contributing to the executive and board members of our research organisations?
More than $3.1 billion worth of Australian wool has been sold at auction this year, closing on a record breaking run of high prices.
Major Chinese wool processors are tipped to sidestep export buyers and enter the auction room in 2018, as demand is expected to outstrip growth in supply.
- Another Australian pastoral icon is in play, following the listing for sale last week of the renowned Channel Country station, “Clifton Hills”.
- A feral pig hunt in North Queensland sparked furore from city slickers after a photo of the carcasses was posted online.
- Departing AFI boss says a calm response to live export and native vegetation criticism is needed
- A proposed meat processing plant in north west Queensland has received major project status from the federal government.
- Students thrive in an inspirational learning environment that blends modern facilities and heritage buildings with breathtaking grounds.
- Tamworth heritage celebrations have greater focus on local Aboriginal history.
- MLA have received a $4.8 million grant for new technology which will allow producers to be paid for what they deliver to the beef, pork and lamb industries.
- Have your say on why our $2 trillion super industry invests so little in farming
- Serradella may have the potential to be used in many grazing areas and has valuable attributes including high production in soils with moderate phosphorus fertility, aphid tolerance, freedom from bloat and potential for deeper rooting, Bob Freebairn writes.
- Police are saying thieves are cashing in on the good times after thousands of livestock have been stolen in the past year.
Search over 20,000 rural real estate listings online including farms, rural property and acreage for sale.
Connecting Livestock Buyers & Sellers: Your one-stop shop for livestock news, reports and sale listings.