SOMETIMES it’s an easy decision: your child will go to the school closest to your home, or where their older siblings attend.
But sometimes you need to consider what’s the best in your child.
- Does the school have the resources and facilities to encourage special interests, including extra-curricular activities?
- Does the school have a reputation for achievement in a particular area, and does that match your child’s abilities?
- Can the school meet your child’s social, emotional, physical and cognitive needs?
- How important is it that your child knows other children at school?
- What are the pros and cons of siblings attending the same school?
- What is covered by the fees, and are there scholarships available?
Start by asking other people with children at the school, or read the school’s website. Then go to the school’s open day or make an appointment to have a tour of the school.