The sale of excess stock from the Sydney Royal Wine Show helps fund two important scholarships for aspiring wine industry leaders.
The Sydney Royal Wine Show, established in 1826, is one of the most prestigious wine shows in Australia, annually attracting more than 2200 entries from 350 producers across Australia.
The Sydney Royal Wine Committee with the Royal Agricultural Society of NSW Foundation (RAS Foundation), offers two scholarships programs - the Sydney Royal Wine Study Scholarship and the Sydney Royal Wine Assessment Scholarship.
"Sydney Royal is proud to be the first Wine Show in Australia to commit to this form of support for the industry and we hope this initiative continues to grow and evolve across the Australian wine community," a spokesman said.
"The Sydney Royal Wine Study Scholarships honour the memory and contribution of Graham Thorp, chairman of the Sydney Royal Wine Committee from 1984 to 1990."
Scholarships of up to $6000 are available with recipients also invited to join the RAS family by stewarding at the annual Sydney Royal Wine Show, held in July.
There is no limit to the types of courses that qualify for the scholarship, however applicants will demonstrate a strong wine industry career pathway through their chosen course of study.
This includes a range of certificates, degrees and courses covering skills in agricultural science, horticulture, viticulture, wine education, wine service, lab technology, marketing and journalism.
You could be studying at university, TAFE or a VET course, on campus or by distance learning.
Individuals interested in studying courses offered by The Wine and Spirit Education Trust or The Court Master Sommeliers are also invited to apply.
Applicants all have one thing in common - a desire to play an active role in the future of the Australian wine industry.
- open to students applying for, or holding admission to, an accredited tertiary course;
- applicants must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident;
- applicants must be under 30 years of age;
- applicants should be available to attend the KPMG Sydney Royal Wine Show in July 2020; and
- applicants applying to study the Australian Wine Research Institute's Advanced Wine Assessment Course should apply for the Sydney Royal Wine Assessment Scholarship.
- Visit www.rasnsw.com.au/foundation/scholarships-and-grants/sydney-royal-wine-study-scholarship/