Australia's largest dairy show International Dairy Week is the latest event to be cancelled due to COVID-19.
Event director Brian Leslie announced the cancellation of the 2021 event on Saturday.
"It is with disappointment that we say this," he said.
"But to stage an event of its magnitude and with all the restrictions we find it impossible."
IDW, which has been running at Tatura, Vic, since 1990, attracts more than 1000 entries and features seven shows, for all major Australian breeds as well as a youth show.
It culminates with the crowning of Australia's Grand Champion cow.
It attracts exhibitors from around Australia and visitors from around the world.
The event also features up to four sales each year, where Australian breed record prices have been set, including in 2017 when a Holstein heifer sold for $251,000.
Event directors said planning is underway to stage a premier sale in another format at that time of the year.
They have vowed IDW will return in 2022.
An emotional Mr Leslie said when he started the event in 1990, he did not ever imagine it would go for this long.
"I've staged every event and I've enjoyed it all," he said.
"There's been lots of things happen over the time.
"There's been tremendous, tremendous shows; there's been record-breaking sales.
"We've had wonderful seminars, we've had tremendous speakers."
The organisers said although they had hoped to run the event, under the current restrictions they had no choice.
"With the uncertainty of borders re-opening, the slow and gradual reopening of Victoria and many economic challenges in providing a COVID-safe event, we recognise the many challenges in trying to set up and run the week in a safe and responsible manner," a statement released on Saturday said.
"We cannot, hand on heart, put in place and meet all necessary requirements so the responsible decision to make, for all of us involved, is to cancel IDW 2021.
"We realise this will impact many, particularly the Tatura community."
MISSING IDW? Check out our complete coverage of this year's event:
- INTERBREED: Holsteins dominate interbreed awards at International Dairy Week
- HOLSTEINS: Gippsland-bred and owned Holstein grand champion
- JERSEYS: Winning ribbons thrill Jersey breeders
- AYRSHIRES: Ayrshire owners confident about future
- GUERNSEYS: Three generations build Guernsey success
- ILLAWARRAS: Long haul pays off for Qld Illawarra exhibitors
- BROWN SWISS: Tandara sweeps Brown Swiss judging
- YOUTH SHOW: Brindabella Holsteins dominates at youth show
- HOLSTEINS: Bushfire donation headlines Holstein sale
- JERSEYS: Jersey heifer record set at $24,000
- AYRSHIRES: Ayrshires pass $10,000 twice at feature sale
- GUERNSEYS: Guernseys sell to $7800 at International Dairy Week
Want to read more stories like this?
Sign up below to receive our e-newsletter delivered fresh to your email in-box twice a week.