People in a NSW Upper Hunter Valley township have been told to shelter with authorities warning it's too late to leave, as an out-of-control blaze bears down on them.
The emergency warning has been issued for the town of Segenhoe, as strong winds and high temperatures complicate the task for firefighters and aircraft battle to control the fire east of Scone.
This information is up-to-date at 3.15pm, Sunday October 22, 2023.
"If you are in the vicinity of Segenhoe, you are in danger," the Rural Fire Service warned on Sunday.
Meanwhile, a watch and act warning is in place for a fire at Bretti on the state's mid-north coast.
Residents at Bretti and Tibuc have been told to prepare to defend their properties or leave as the fire, which has already burned through 315 hectares of scrub, spreads east towards Thunderbolts Way.
Campers at Bretti Reserve were relocated on Sunday morning.
Extreme fire danger and total fire bans are in place in large parts of the state as dangerous weather conditions threaten to cause several fires across the state to burn out of control.
Firefighters on the mid-north coast continue to battle the 28,000 hectare Willi Willi blaze west of Kempsey, which last week destroyed seven homes and killed 56-year-old Richard Mainey, as well as a major fire at Wise Creek east of Hat Head.
Properties are not currently threatened, but the hot, dry and windy conditions could see the fires break through containment lines, Rural Fire Service Deputy Commissioner Peter McKechnie warned.
"Both of those fires have been really challenging for firefighters right through the week," he told ABC News on Sunday.
"Quite challenging conditions for firefighters on the ground today and still a lot of fire actually on the ground.
"So people shouldn't be complacent that there hasn't been any threat for a couple of days. Today will be another challenging day."
Total fire bans are in place in the Greater Sydney region, the Greater Hunter, Northern Slopes, North West and the North Coast.
Mr McKechnie urged people to be prepared.
"Right through today, we will see fires in other areas I'm sure, and people need to know what they're going to do," he said.
With dry conditions forecast for some time, Mr McKechnie said regular fire activity is likely to continue throughout "a very long and challenging fire season".
Firefighters will have to wait until Thursday for a reprieve as hot and dry conditions continue across the state.
The Bureau of Meteorology predicts temperatures to hit 36C at Scone on Tuesday and at Kempsey on Wednesday before showers and a cool change come through.
Australian Associated Press
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.